Causes of Hearing Loss in Children
Hearing loss is a common birth defect, about 1 to 3 out of every 1,000 babies in
Uganda have hearing loss and this is a result of several factors. Parents are advised
to take care and watch this.
Hearing loss can occur if a child:
· Was born prematurely,
· had high treatment, exceeding the expected measure
· was given medications that can lead to hearing loss,
· When there is a family history of childhood hearing loss,
· had complications at birth,
· had frequent ear infections; or got affected with diseases such as
meningitis, cytomegalovirus, synaces
· Is exposed to very loud sounds or noises.
· Became unconscious; leading to hearing loss.